Legal and Effective Reference Checking & Credential and Education Verification
Room: Summit 206
Competencies: Business Acumen, Ethical Practice, HR Expertise
Attendees will learn how to effectively verify past employment and education information, as well as tools to spot phony credentials and fake degrees.
With hiring decisions becoming more critical in challenging economic times, verifying past employment, credentials and education, and obtaining references has become critical. Unfortunately, falsifying or inflating employment and educational accomplishments has become a significant problem for employers. Legal limitations also create barriers for human resource professional when obtaining and giving past employment information. This workshop reviews legal and effective technique for the reference-checking process and how to verify education and spot phony credentials and worthless degree mills. New technologies and approaches will also be reviewed, as well as special issues involving international credentials and the role of social media sites and Web 2.0 in the process.
- Learn effective and legal strategies to verify an applicant's past employment and education accomplishments.
- Explore why employment references create legal issues for employers and strategies for obtaining information and dealing with requests from other employers.
- Learn why phony education credentials are problematic and how to spot degree mills.
- Review new technologies and approaches to credentials verifications.
- Understand special issues when it comes to social media sites and international employment and education verification.