Revisiting Data Privacy Compliance Obligations in the Post-GDPR World
Room: Congressional B
1.00 SHRM PDCs | Intended Audience: Mid-Level
Learn about cross-border data flows, GDPR and CCPA, including the impact they will have on your business and key steps to achieving compliance.
In 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which was the “new” EU-wide data privacy law, replaced the 20-year-old Data Protection Directive and created more individual control over and transparency around companies’ use of personal data. For multinationals, the impact on their compliance culture has been significant. Now, other jurisdictions of the world are playing catch-up. For example, the recently passed California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), which will go into effect in January 2020, takes some cues from the GDPR while going even further in places and undoubtedly will result in additional compliance modifications for companies that “do business” in California. The clock is ticking on making the necessary compliance changes – and the risk of noncompliance isn’t worth it. Presenter Scott Galt has more than 15 years of experience as a partner at Armstrong Teasdale and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional with a focus on EU law. He has helped dozens of clients navigate overseas data privacy waters, develop data privacy compliance programs, spot gaps that warrant flexible compliance solutions, and has provided general guidance on limitations and consequences associated with the assessment, auditing, implementation, maintenance, operationalization, recertification and verification of various data privacy programs.
- Enhance your knowledge of cross-border data flows, GDPR, CCPA, and what constitutes personal information
- Gain a deeper understanding of your company’s role in protecting the privacy of your customers and employees and the key steps to achieving compliance
- Appreciate the enhanced individual rights enjoyed under the new law(s) and the legal bases on which companies must rely as they address them
- Examine technical, organizational and practical measures that can mitigate risk to your organizations
- Confront enhanced accountability requirements of the new law(s)