HR: The Central Focus of the Current Workplace Revolution
Room: Mount Vernon Square
1.00 SHRM PDCs
America (and the world) is facing the most transformative wave of automation since the height of the Industrial Revolution. The rise of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and the development of more nimble robots and cobots are rapidly changing the workplace. TIDE (technologically induced displacement of employees) makes tens of millions of jobs at risk of fundamental change. Basic human resource strategies for recruitment, training and commitment to life-long workplace learning is central to successful strategies dealing with TIDE. Policy implications are enormous. Should workers have a guaranteed income? A life time learning account? The “right” to portable benefits? Workplace protections from discrimination even though the person is an independent contractor? The right to engage in collective bargaining even though the workforce does not possess typical “employee” definitions as developed during the 20th century?
You will learn:
- How the AI workplace revolution will impact your business, community and our country’s position in the world;
- The kinds of jobs most at risk by TIDE;
- The positive impact TIDE will have for people with disabilities;
- The policy implications flowing from TIDE; and
- Why HR is the central focus of this historic moment in history.