It’s a Jungle Out There! Avoiding Negligent Hiring Claims with Compliant Background Screening
1.25 SHRM PDCs, 1.25 HR Credit | Competencies: HR Expertise, Critical Evaluation | Intended Audience: Mid-Level
This session will provide you with an update on federal and state laws, lawsuits, and regulations controlling pre-employment screening background checks.
To avoid bad hiring decisions, employers are utilizing pre-employment background screening as a risk management tool. However, background checks are increasingly subject to litigation, legislation and regulation. There has been an explosion of class-action lawsuits, as well as actions by federal agencies, based on allegations that employers failed to follow the law. This session will examine 10 key areas of legal compliance designed to help you hire the best while avoiding legal fallout. This session will help you understand:
· How the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act and similar state laws impact hiring.
· The impact of EEOC guidance on the use of criminal records.
· The elements and defenses to negligent hiring lawsuits.
· The current explosion in class-action lawsuits related to background checks.
· How to audit your current practices to ensure you are legally compliant.