It’s About More Than Bathrooms: Understanding Gender Identity and Expression in the Workplace
Salon FGH (Third Floor)
1.00 SHRM PDCs | Competencies: Communication, Ethical Practice, Global & Cultural Effectiveness | Intended Audience: All Levels
This session will focus on transgender inclusion and diversity in the workplace with a deep dive into the legal and practical issues related to gender identity and expression in the workplace.
For employers today, gender identity and gender expression are top of mind. As the trend of transgender social inclusion continues, naturally oppressive forces push back and can strain workforce relationships. This timely session will focus on transgender inclusion and diversity in the workplace with a deep dive into the legal and practical issues related to gender identity and expression in the workplace. Topics such as gender-based restroom etiquette, non-discrimination in health services and workplace activities at the state and federal levels, and dealing with associated questions and complaints will be discussed.
- Learn to distinguish among sex-based gender, gender identity and gender expression in a practical fashion that includes a discussion of the application and utilization of gender pronouns.
- Discuss the current legal environment at the state and federal levels related to regulation of gender identity and gender expression in the workplace and within society at large.
- Learn how to respond to complaints and questions regarding gender expression and gender identity in the workplace.
- Explore recent executive agency memoranda and rulings both in support and in opposition to gender expression in the workplace and within society at large.
- Discuss C-suite and executive partner buy-in for gender expression initiatives in the workplace.
Presenter:Jason N. Sheffield, Employee Benefits Attorney, Health and Benefits Compliance,
Willis Towers Watson
Presenter:Rachael McCann, senior director, Health & Benefits Compliance, Inclusion & Diversity,
Willis Towers Watson