You are hereHome › Additional Educational Opportunities
Additional Educational Opportunities
Tuesday, March 14 05:15 PM - 06:30 PM
Government Affairs team, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
1.25 SHRM PDCs
Whether you’re a first-timer or a veteran of the Capitol Hill Visits, join SHRM’s Government Affairs team for a deep-dive into timely legislative issues to discuss with lawmakers, plus tips on how to strategically advocate on behalf of the profession.
We look forward to witnessing another monumental HR advocacy effort on Wednesday, March 15, during SHRM Advocacy Day, when hundreds of HR leaders take advantage of this rare chance to visit the offices of their U.S. senators and representatives on Capitol Hill. With a new incoming presidential administration and Congress, the time is ripe for policymakers to hear directly from HR about the issues impacting you, your employers, your employees and your communities. All those who will be participating in Capitol Hill Visits and meeting with members of Congress and their staffs should attend this preparatory educational briefing and interactive strategy session. During this session, SHRM’s Government Affairs team—and some of your fellow HR peers—will provide the latest updates and information on the timely issues you will be discussing with lawmakers during your Advocacy Day meetings, as well as how you can best represent the profession as an advocate both during your Capitol Hill Visits and after you return home from Washington, D.C.
Never attended a SHRM Advocacy Day? This is the perfect opportunity to join your peers and fellow advocates in reviewing talking points and how-to strategies, and even witness live demonstrations and scenarios to help you effectively communicate your views and experiences on legislative issues with congressional offices.
A seasoned participant of SHRM's Capitol Hill Visits? Don't miss this particular session to proactively analyze the legislative issues pending this spring that directly impact the HR profession, and how you can use your leadership to ensure a successful Advocacy Day and an exciting 2017 for HR.
Sunday, March 12 08:30 AM - 05:00 PM
7.50 SHRM PDCs
In this one-day seminar, gain a deeper understanding of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) by breaking down areas such as determining exempt status, salary basis, time keeping, hours worked, and the different types of pay and how to manage each. This seminar is designed to be a hands on exploration of how to understand, implement, and ensure compliance with the FLSA and the ever-changing landscape of employment law.
As a result of this seminar, participants will be able to:
- Articulate the different components of the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Determine employment type and status
- Identify and manage the different components that impact an exempt employee
- Identify and manage the different components that impact a non-exempt employee
- Identify and manage other aspects of the FLSA
- Implement effective processes to ensure FLSA compliance
- Implement and communicate the 2016 changes to the FLSA
Sunday, March 12 08:30 AM - 05:00 PM
7.25 SHRM PDCs
Explore a best-practice framework for conducting internal investigations, on which organizational policies, procedures, and work rules can be developed and anchored. Practice investigation skills and techniques through a case study that runs through the entirety of the program.
This program is designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary to:
- Communicate the best-practice process framework for conducting internal investigations, on which organizational policies, procedures and work rules can be developed and anchored.
- Employ tactics to mitigate the risks of employment-related litigation.
- Develop HR policies, processes, procedures and work rules that will result in a more appreciative, engaged and productive workforce.