Inclusion Refocused: Race Conversations and the Urgency of Now
Salon E (Third Floor) (300 theatre)
1.50 SHRM PDCs | Competencies: Global & Cultural Effectiveness, Leadership & Navigation, Relationship Management | Intended Audience: Intermediate (Fostering I&D)
This session will focus on laying the foundation for increased understanding of racial differences and how to implement inclusion practices.
It is no secret that anxiety about race has continued to be on the rise across the U.S. A brutal presidential campaign that tested racial attitudes coupled with a white majority becoming the new minority has the potential to create and further racial divides and conflicts. While many try to point fingers, it is important to understand how each person shares responsibility for creating the environment in which we now reside. When we say we believe in equality for everyone and every group, do we really mean it? As a part of the Moving the Race Conversation Forward series, we will discuss what is at the core of America's racial divide. In a climate where shutting down conversations on differences and retreating to comfortable corners is the norm, we will boldly move forward to address the issues of today—issues such as blackface and why it's not just offensive but dangerous, kneeling at football games, immigration and what does it mean to be an American.
- Understand the changing face of the U.S. and how it affects our workforce and political climate.
- Learn about the country’s history of institutional racism and the systems it continues to impact.
- Discover the spoken, and unspoken, rules to discussing racial differences openly, honestly and respectfully.
- Learn the language of inclusion and its importance to improving race relations.
- Learn how to prepare your company leaders, managers, and employees for the demographic shifts in management and leadership.