You are hereHome › Calls for Presentation
Calls for Presentation
2014 Regional Student Conferences
Southeast - Sheraton Pentagon City, Arlington, VA
March 14 - 15, 2014
Southwest Central - Embassy Suites, Scottsdale, AZ
March 28 - 29, 2014
Pacific West - Red Lion Hotel Jantzen Beach, Portland, OR
April 4 - 5, 2014
Northeast - Hilton Providence, Providence, RI
April 11 - 12, 2014
North Central - Hilton Milwaukee City Center, Milwaukee, WI
April 25 - 26, 2014
You are invited to submit a proposal to share your experience and expertise with students in human resource management at the SHRM® Regional Student Conference(s). Others will benefit from your experience while you make a valuable contribution to the profession's field of knowledge.
ABOUT THE CONFERENCES
The Regional Student Conferences are a series of five two-day events designed to provide students interested in the Human Resources profession with an opportunity to enhance their knowledge of the profession, connect with professionals and develop skills critical for success in the workplace. Each conference is comprised of keynote sessions, educational sessions, career development opportunities, networking and a Regional Case Competition, where teams of graduate and undergraduate students compete separately to win two grand prizes: $2,500 cash and complimentary team registration to the 2014 Annual Conference & Exposition in Orlando.
Number of Attendees Expected: 200 - 300 Undergraduate & Graduate Students enrolled in Human Resources or related degree programs
Average Attendee Age (2013):
Ages 18 - 24 = 49% of attendees
Ages 25 - 34 = 36% of attendees
Ages 35 - 44 = 10% of attendees
Ages 45 - 54 = 5% of attendees
States Represented at Each Conference:
AL, DC, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV and Puerto Rico
CT, DE, MA, MD ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI and VT
North Central Region:
IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, ND, NE, OH, SD and WI
Pacific West Region:
AK, CA, HI, ID, MT, NV, OR, WA, WY, Guam & N. Marianas Islands
Southwest Central Region:
AR, AZ, CO, KS, LA, MO, NM, OK, TX and UT
HOW TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL
- Complete the 2014 Call for Presentation form.
SUBMISSIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE OR REPRODUCED ON A COMPUTER IN THE EXACT ORDER OF THE FORM .
- Review for completeness, accuracy and legibility; sign and date form.
- Include proof of performance. Accepted forms of proof of performance include videos (or links to videos), evaluations from a program the speaker previously presented, letters of recommendation, marketing brochures, books and articles. Proposals sent without proof of performance are incomplete and will not be considered. Your proposal will be returned as incomplete.
Tara Fournier, PHR
Manager, Member Engagement
Member Engagement Specialist
EACH EDUCATIONAL SESSION WILL LAST 45 MINUTES.
Possible Speaker Topics:
Members of the Selection Committee will review all proposals. We strive to offer a balanced program of educational sessions by selecting proposals that best fit within the mission of the student conference. Final selections will be made by the conference program organizers from proposals accepted. Strong preference given to single speaker presentations and local presenters.
Sessions conducted by practitioners that include practical, immediately applicable tools will be given preference. SHRM seeks presentations that will provide our students with information that will improve their interest in HRM, ability to obtain employment, improve effectiveness on the job, and excel in their student chapters.
Areas of focus include careers in HR, the HR competency model and major trends shaping the workplace within the next 3-5 years. Personal development and leadership are also valuable components of student conference programming. Alternative views and counterpoint issues are welcomed, particularly when lessons learned from first-hand experience are offered as models/examples. The topics listed in this document are only suggestions. Other subjects are welcome and will be seriously considered.
Proven Speaking Ability
SHRM seeks experienced presenters with proven speaking ability. Those with a track record of speaking and performing well at conferences will be given preference.
Proof of Performance
Accepted forms of proof of performance are videos and evaluations from a program the speaker previously presented. Letters of recommendation, marketing brochures, books and articles will also qualify. Evaluations should show your quality ratings and scores from previous speaking engagements. Please include the number of attendees present and define the rating scale. If you are an academician, we cannot accept classroom evaluations as proof of performance.
A NOTE CONCERNING HONORARIA
SHRM has a tradition of using educational conference sessions as a platform for innovation in the field of human resource management. We look for contributors who are willing to share their expertise WITHOUT expectation of payment in the spirit of networking, a purpose for which the Society was founded. Travel expenses related to speaking at the conference may be negotiated. Your participation helps us to educate and mentor the HR leaders of tomorrow!
We expect presenters to:
- meet all deadlines;
- retain the session content, audio/visual needs as originally submitted;
- not add a co-presenter or change the identity or number of presenters without permission from SHRM;
- provide high-quality handouts by the date and in the format requested;
- honor SHRM's commitment to provide education by not showcasing or promoting the speaker's practice, services or products;
- respect SHRM as the sponsoring organization with either positive or neutral comments from the platform;
- be available for press interviews. (Please remember that members of the press may attend your session.)
In return, SHRM will:
- Provide a complimentary registration to the regional student conference, including educational programs and social events.
- Grant you valuable professional exposure.
- Provide you with your evaluation scores after the conference.
To submit your application, click here.
Submit the completed form no later than December 31, 2013.
- Affiliate Conferences
- On Demand
- Become a Speaker
- Become a Sponsor
- Contact Us